Saturday, April 28, 2007

ask and you shall receive

so, i wanted to talk about books more. and in looking for more desert island question options, i came upon this, and found it interesting, so here we go.

1.One book that changed your life
Savage Inequalities, Jonathan Kozol. i don't think i got white privilege until i read this book.

2.One book that you've read more than once
there are a lot of these. one that i really liked: Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison.

3.One book that you'd want on a desert island
see previous post and exchange the word "one" for "three."

4.One book that made you laugh
Harry Potter -- they all make me laugh.

5.One book that made you cry
i really don't think i've cried at a book. Animal Farm made me really angry...actually i might have cried when they *SPOILER* took the horse away.

6.One book you wish you had written
this is not definitive, but since i recommended it, we'll say Ella Minnow Pea, because it was so cute and creative. or! since we already threw in a little Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye. that book is so carefully constructed and thoughful.

7.One book you wish had never been written
My So Called Life Goes On, Carolyn Clark. a novelization of the series. awful. awful awful. the author basically took Sweet Valley High, took out the names and stuck in Angela, Rayanne, Jordan, Ricky, and Brian. twenty pages in i took it and threw it behind my bed in disgust.

8.One book you're currently reading
Real Sex, Lauren Winner -- a book that i hope will help me take some sort of approach to sexuality with my kids that's not "don't do it! sex is bad! just because it is, stop asking questions!"

9.One book you have been meaning to read
She who Is, Elizabeth Johnson -- a landmark feminist theology text. Got it through paperbackswap, sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to finish this thesis.

10.Now tag five people
torgo and rainster (obviously), jen d., lisa, and mike. and, for kicks, one person i don't know -- maybe the person in florida who read it yesterday.

5 comments:

Rainster said...

1.One book that changed your life:
The Broken Spears. First time I read Mexican history from a non-Spanish viewpoint. (Although technically it was translated from the Spanish...)

2.One book that you've read more than once:
Daddy Long Legs. I will not apologize.

3.One book that you'd want on a desert island:
The Norton Anthology of Poetry.

4.One book that made you laugh:
:Holidays on Ice. Busted out in public, too.

5.One book that made you cry:
Bridge to Terabithia. First when I was 9. And then 18 years later too.

6.One book you wish you had written:
The Catcher in the Rye

7.One book you wish had never been written:
The End of Racism. I've tried reading portions of it at bookstores. And get mad every time.

8.One book you're currently reading: Karaoke: The Global Phenonemon. I was psyching myself up for my b-day party. Also, it was a gift from someone who was getting psyched about my b-day party...

9.One book you have been meaning to read:
Catch 22. I've been on chapter 4 for like, a year.

Xtina said...

we are totally twins! first, the poetry on the desert island. then, bridge to terabithia -- i DEFINITELY cried at that book. also! i never finished Catch 22...but the two fish i had my sophmore year of college were named yossarian and hungry joe.

i think for the laughing book question i should have said bridget jones' diary -- that one really did crack me up.

Rainster said...

Bridget Jones cracked me up, too!

Lisa said...

Ummm, do you know me well enough to know that I don't like reading? Thanks for tagging me anyways...but I hate books. just kidding. Ummm, I love the book foursouls. Actually, Kirsten Kronberg's brother wrote it...and when I found out she was my neighbor, I got SUPER fired up.

Torgo said...

Argh. Ok, ok.

1.One book that changed your life:
Otherwise by Jane Kenyon. The Giving Tree, also. Langston Hughes' Collected Poems. Soldier by June Jordan. Oh, wait. One? I can't pick just one. There are about 100.

2.One book that you've read more than once: Sphere by Michael Crichton. I read it twice. Orson Scott Card's The Worthing Saga. Also, Goodnight, Gorilla. I read that about twice a week.

3.One book that you'd want on a desert island:
A poetry anthology would be good. Something massive that's also fun.

4.One book that made you laugh:
Skid by Dean Young

5.One book that made you cry: The Giving Tree. Maybe Life of Pi. That had a strong emotional impact on me. I didn't cry. But I was upset. I love that book, but it was upsetting.

6.One book you wish you had written: I wish I'd written a lot of books I've liked. Blue Latitudes is one I wish I'd done. That would've been fun to write.

7.One book you wish had never been written: Anything by Bill O'Reilly.

8.One book you're currently reading: Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon. And Best American Poetry 2006. And "The Birth Partner." I finished Crime and Punishment yesterday.


9.One book you have been meaning to read: Paradise Lost. War and Peace. The Brothers Karamazov. The new Dean Young. There are a bunch. I'm awful at libraries. I always take out much more than I can read and have to force myself to stop looking.

Yeah, see, I'm no good at picking one book.