Monday, January 15, 2007

you had a bad day...

so saturday, which in many senses was very nice because i had a nice morning retreat time with fellow seminary-finishers, saw one friend got married, had a great dinner (at the reception), and got to go to a nice lounge on the south loop with another friend.

however, in the midst of this niceness:
1. at the retreat, after checking my voicemail, had my phone inexplicably die. just die. go black. button pushing did nothing. plugging in did nothing. it wasn't low on battery, just died. today, the verizon lady taught me when your phone inexplicably dies, all you have to do it take out the battery and put it back in again. voila! of course i didn't know that, and so was phoneless for a day and a half, which is much more crippling than it might initially seem, especially when you drive a total of 150 miles in two days and your favorite thing to do is talk on the phone while driving. and you get lost and want to call people for directions or to say you will be late. and you are trying to sell your mattress on craigslist and told the seller guy to call you today.

2. i had to leave the retreat early to get to the wedding, and decided last minute to borrow a friend's skirt, instead of wearing the pants i wore to all my interviews (i was kind of at a wardrobe loss, as i didn't get invited to the wedding until the last minute, and most of my nice clothes are now in boston). so i had to stop for lotion and nylons. but i didn't look closely enough at the nylons at target, and when i checked out the total was $17. out rageous! i thought, but decided to heck with it and went into the bathroom so i didn't waste any more time. however, the nylons were so outrageously priced because they were not in fact nylons, but special stomach and thigh tucking-in thingies. so i had to go back and get ACTUAL nylons, and then put them on.

3. because of shoddy googlemaps directions, arrived late to the wedding. if you know my directional abilities, you might be tempted to blame this on me, but really, googlemaps told me to go left when i should have gone right. is it my fault i didn't figure this mistake out quickly and instead drove 20 minutes in the wrong direction? perhaps.

4. at wedding, attempts to take pictures were thwarted by dead camera battery.

5. rushing out of wedding, late to meet my friend whose house i am crashing at, i am pulled over in glen ellyn, IL, and get a speeding ticket. for $75. my sister somehow manages to get out of ALL her speeding tickets. i've gotten one straight up warning, one slightly sketchy warning tainted by racism ( long story from college), and three tickets. they never even talk to me. i never get a chance to flick my hair or bat my eyelashes or cry (none of which i could do successfully anyway). i cannot call my waiting friend and tell her of my lateness because of the dead phone and the lack of knowledge of the taking out and putting back in battery move.

as i was pulling away from my pulled over spot, i turned my radio back on and heard...
"you had a bad day, ba da da da da"

seriously what does the rest of that song say? in my head i sing, "you had a bad day, you're taking one down, take a sad song and you turn it around..." is that how it goes?

3 comments:

Rainster said...

This is the kind of day where you treat yourself to something to make up for it. Like bangle earrings. Or a bubble bath. Or ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Google maps are unreliable. That being said, I remember getting a ride with you once and heading in the wrong direction on I-95 for a solid 30 minutes. I believe this was in Massachusetts, your home state. On the road that runs between Boston and Colby, so you'd think it'd be familiar.

Xtina said...

ah! i remember that. but i was coming back on the highway from where ever it was you lived, so it was maybe a little understandable...? sort of?

i think that was the same trip i almost drove through the toll booth without paying.