Saturday, August 12, 2006

annabelle wrecks the house


one day i was letting this girl drive my car. 21, practicing for her driver's exam. she worked with me at emack & bolio's. she was trying to do a three point turn (in my car) while smoking (in my car), hit the curb (in my car) and came dangerously close to a stone wall (in my car). "they will fail you for that." i said.

"really?" she said, all wide eyed, actually surprised that she would be failed for hitting the very object you are avoiding in a three point turn.

"yes. really." i said.

i decided to take her far from busy streets and obnoxious leaping stone walls that come out of no where, so we were driving some back roads of hyde park, and we came upon little kids and a box of kittens. (p.s. i am realizing the irony of all this -- that i take this girl far from anywhere she can hit a curb or a stone wall but in close vicinity to kittens and little kids -- don't worry, i get it.)

she somehow convinced me to call my sister and convince my sister to get this little orange white and gray kitten, which is annabelle. who is now in my house because my sister is at a wedding in the poconos.

annabelle is very cute. but she knocks crap over. she sticks her face in my food. she's not mellow. when she knocks crap over she looks down at it like "well, that's less crap i have to deal with when i walk across this mantle." she gets pissed when we replace the crap. she has a vendetta against my dad, and if i'm sitting on the couch, and he stops in the door way, she'll go from nuzzling my foot to leaping across the room, racing up the chair, and swiping at him.

my sister was trying to kick her of the habit of jumping up on the counter when she was little, and the vet said spray her, and when my sister sprayed her, annabelle was so startled she fell off the counter and sprained her leg...which i think makes me sister reluctant to try any new training techniques, which means when annabelle is scratching our antique (ok, old) sofa and we clap our hands and shout "hey. HEY!" she just pauses, stares, and continues. kind of like a little kid who's coloring on the wall, and you say "don't color on the wall!" and they pause and look at you as if trying to gauge what's really going to happen if they keep coloring. annabelle is not scared or intimidated by us at all anymore. we need supernanny or something, except for cats.

No comments: