Wednesday, October 07, 2009

adventures in vegetables

so I'm attempting the CSA (community supported agriculture) vegetable box thing. a friend from church pointed me towards a CSA that sells single shares, so I signed up for one and for 1/2 dozen eggs.

the problem is, they are pretty ambitious about what they think one person can eat as far as vegetables goes in a single week.

last week, I got bok choy. which I have never even seen in its raw form. in fact, when I saw the bok choy at my aforementioned friend's house, I thought it was a leek. so I figured out a dish, made some "Bacon-y Bok Choy" (thanks Allrecipes.com!), which was enough at least three meals. I also made homefries for breakfast one morning. but everytime I ate some place else (restaurant, at church), I felt guilty, thinking of all the vegetables slowly rotting in my fridge.

the point is that out of the box last week, I ended up only eating the bok choy, half of a pepper, and three mini potatoes. I was therefore left with 6 mini potatoes, the other half of the pepper, two winter squash, two cucumbers, lettuce and arugula. I have all that and yesterday I picked up a whole new box!

I think the ultimate result of this is going to be me not eating out as much. people are going to invite me out to eat and I'm going to be like, "what about the kale, man? WHAT ABOUT THE KALE??"

6 comments:

Brian said...

Katie and I got a "half share" (as oppossed to a full share) at a CSA farm near us. We get a ton of vegetables each week. Our farm usually includes a recipe for some of the more, uh, exotic vegetables they give us.

One thing we love is roasted vegetables. Slice up your zucchini, peppers, carrots, squash, asparagus etc. Drizzle with olive oil, some salt and throw em in the oven on a baking sheet till they start to brown a bit. (Katie likes to throw all the vegetables in a freezer bag, pour a little oil in and rub 'em around to distribute the oil.) I think she bakes 'em at like 350...but not sure.

Anyway, you can cook a lot of the vegetables that way and they are quite tasty.

Brian said...

Oh yeah, she puts 'em on a baking sheet covered with foil and sprays the foil with a little no stick spray.

Xtina said...

Thanks, Brian -- I think I might try that with the squash and potatoes tomorrow. Stay tuned for when I talk about my attempt at "Zuppa Toscana" (a kale adventure)

Xtina said...

wait, but how long are they in there? if I do squash and potatoes, is that two different times? I'm new at this.

Brian said...

Actually, the temp should be more like 425-450. Try to slice em the same thickness...usually goes for 20 minutes or so. (You can add pepper too, or crushed red pepper mmmmmm.) Spread em in a single layer...

Katie has never done potatoes and vegetables at the same time...she suggests two separate sheets. Also "Make sure you tell her about the bag! She doesn't want pools of oil on the sheet." I would add don't go too crazy with the oil either...try to get enough to coat all the vegetables but don't drown 'em.

I hope it works out for ya!

mnyman said...

i think the phrase "What about the kale?" has the potential to go viral.