Friday, March 28, 2008

till now, I always got by on my own

It should come as no surprise that I'm an American Idol fan. Not one of those "I only watch the audition phase," because I realized I don't really like watching the auditions anymore. No, I like the weekly grind, the 1.5 minute snippets of 80s songs or Latin songs, or big band songs. I like the little interviews when we see the performers as little babies. I even like the group sing (yeah, I said it.)

And I am one of those people who can say that American Idol has introduced me to new songs. Last year, I heard "Feeling Good," by Nina Simone, for the first time by cute little AJ Tablado with his cute little popped up collar, and now I love that song. During Idol Gives Back, Kelly Clarkson sang "Up to the Mountain (MLK Song)," by Patty Griffith, which I had never heard before but now ranks in my all time favorites.

This week, Ramiele Malubay (who I think should be gone because she's boring and she talks baby talk and I still can't believe my darling Chikeze left. Moment of silence for my Chikeze please.) sang "Alone" by Heart, which I should have heard because Carrie Underwood sang it in her season. Maybe it didn't make that much of an impression, because this week, when I heard it for the first time, I felt the thrill of a new obsession! I love me some heartfelt, angst-ridden, agonizing, unrequited love, and that's this song.

But now I need an opinion. Everyone says this is one of Carrie Underwood's greatest songs, but really, I don't think she does it justice. It's like she doesn't even know what it's about. She stares into the camera with eyes that say "when will this be done so I can sing country again?" Carrie does not want to get me alone! Nothing's chilling her to the bone!

Gina Glocksen, who I supported way back when, apparently also sang it, which I discovered as I was youtubing the song (because I LOVE IT -- was that made clear?), and to me, even though her power notes were rough, she really seemed to embody the song better.


Which do you like better?




or





I can't help but also be moved by cute little AJ Tablado's dancing and singing at the :48 mark.


And of course, if you're not sick of it: the original (this is a recent live recording -- the actual 80s video kind of scared me a little):

No comments: