Wednesday, February 23, 2011

come help me study the Psaaaaaalms

A single youth pastor finds her students much invested in her love life.  Once about a year and a half ago I brought some students to a sandwich shop and had an approx. five minute conversation with the guy who took our order.  An elaborate love story was concocted from that brief conversation, and this guy would pop up in conversation all the time.  I would say, "I'm going to to NH this week," and they would say, "with Dave from the Real Deal?" and I would say, "No......."


Every guy who has ever come with me to church they have asked about (and almost every time the answer has been "No, just friends" -- an answer they are very disappointed by). 


For the most part, I find it endearing.  Most teenagers are natural matchmakers, and ultimately, they just want to see me happy, which is sweet. With all this investment, however, comes advice, good, bad, and ugly. 


Good:
Just the other night, I had this conversation with a young adult.
Her: If you like someone, you should just tell them that you like them.
Me: Just like that.
Her: Yeah, like 'I like you.'
Me: And then what if they don't like you back.
Her: Then you're salted.  I mean, you're really sauced. Your feelings are really, really hurt.  But then it's over and you don't have to think about it.

I had no response to that because it was so wise and yet also the scariest thing in the world.


Bad:
Him: You should go down to the [Boston] Common if you want to meet someone.
Me: OK, so I go to the Common and then what?
Him: You just go up to someone and say, 'Do you have the time?' and then start a conversation from there.
Me: But what do you talk about after you ask the time?
Him: If you don't know how to talk to people, I can't help you...want me to go with you?
Me: NO.

Somehow, the idea of walking around the Common asking guys the time with a teenage wingman just doesn't seem like it's going to bear much fruit

Ugly:
Her: What's going with the boyfriend situation? It should be easy -- it's not even like you want someone cute, you don't care if they're ugly, they just got to be godly...just ask them to come help you study Psaaaaaaaalms.   *eyebrow waggle*

Enough said. 


2 comments:

Katie said...

I can honestly and truly say LOL. And I TOTALLY remember being like this as a youth group kid. (I cringe at like 90% of what I remember about myself as a youth group kid.) Set one of our mutual friends up with a leader from my youth group once (or at least we thought we set them up...he probably went out with her in spite of us...).

Meg said...

Awesome! Kids are slightly insane. However, I do think the "time asking" advice could be skewed to actually work. :) But you're right - it's what comes after you get the answer that's the hard part! Now that I know you have a blog, I might have to go back and read older posts!